Monday 5 January 2015

Traditions And Customs Of The Holiday Season

I am very fortunate to be able to attend 5 different Christmas's almost every year.
Three of these events are the commonly known Christmas. Sitting around with our family or friends, watching movies, having a huge dinner and opening gifts. A Christmas dinner for my family consists of a turkey (or two), stuffing, many different types of potatoes, beans, gravy, and a variety of vegetables.
The fourth Christmas that my family has is a smaller evening, with just my mom and siblings. Seeing as my mom works most Christmas's, we wait until the evening to sit down and open up gifts with each other. We spend a good hour opening up presents from each other, our mom, and even Santa.

Our final Christmas is at my Grandma and Opa's house. My Grandmas is Danish and my Opa German, so this dinner is a little different. The same situation happens with presents and stockings, but dinner changes.With this dinner my Grandma does not enjoy turkey, so we always have a ham, with crackling on the outside (a sort of pork rind), a mound of mashed potatoes, red cabbage, brussel sprouts, beans and a few smaller pieces. After the kids clean off the table and we all talk for about half an hour, we have a competition. It's a Danish tradition to have a huge bowl of rice pudding and drop one shaved almond in and stir it around.

Whoever finds the almond in their pudding receives a prize picked by my Grandma. But, you do have to eat all the pudding in your bowl until you may claim your prize. Naturally, this turns into a huge competition with us. Me and my uncle always fight over how we think the other took not one but two scoops and a war breaks out. All is well though as after all this is cleaned up and coffee and drinks are distributed. presents are opened. What a surprise it is that Santa went to their house to.

No comments:

Post a Comment